Friday, June 5, 2009

Down but not Out.

The past 3 weeks have been a real daze. It all started out on May 17th when Jimmy, Roderick and myself did a 20km well-paced run from Bukit Aman to Sri Hartamas and back. The overall mood at the camp was good - our pacing and breathing was good and we finished it well within 2 hours. That was what we call as an 'extended run' - a run of substantial distance conducted once a week, aside from one's normal daily training.

Among runners, the general idea is that after every weekly extended run, one must rest and recuperate the following day, with little or no strenuous activities done. The problem was the little issue of the New Balance Pacesetters 15KM Run, which was held on the following day at Lake Gardens.

I guess, here's where my immaturity as a runner kicked in. I totally attacked the road race, hitting the infamous Double Hills of Bukit Tunku as I tried to score a better timing, ignoring the fact that I already did 20KM the previous day.

Only after the race ended, it hit me. The pain started off from the sole of the foot, which radiates to the ankle with gradual exertion. It became even worst the following day as I ended up limping my way around university. The pain eventually disappeared, but resurfaced the following Sunday after a light run. I only did 8KM. And that was the nature of the pain - just like a mouse which reappears and disappears every now and then.

I think for a sportsperson, getting injured is one of, if not THE MOST frustrating aspects in life. Everything grinds to a halt - weeks of training goes down the drain while the task of restarting training is arduous to even think about. Mentally, you are always occupied with questions of doubt and hope. You become so occupied with the questions, that I felt that it was even worst than the injury itself!

When will I recover? Or will you even recover?

I don't feel any pain now. Should I try running? But what if I aggravate it?

And worse: What if I have to pull out from the marathon?

I admit, I sunk rock bottom 2 weekends after I got the injury, as I limped around the MSN Track in Bukit Jalil. It was the National Cancer Society of Malaysia's Relay For Life and all I was doing was resting while the other runners zoomed by. I should be hitting 30KM this week but I am INJURED! Sigh. I admit, I was this close to deciding on taking painkillers to last me through training and the marathon itself. I even considered...taking steroid shots?

I was losing the plot, seriously.

I think this is where support is impervious. From Miss T's constant persuasion throughout the night and Miss C's supportive SMSes to my batch mate's emphatic queries, their mere pressence helped drill some sense into this thick skull of mine.

But what struck me the most was Kelvin. He was there during Relay For Life, who constantly offered me priceless advice and words of persuasion. His approach was simple - always look at the bigger picture. It was something I claim to preach but yet, in the context of the marathon, it was something I failed so miserably in.

Forget about 4 hours and 45 minutes. Just take your time to finish it, it is your FIRST marathon!
Rest your leg, no use aggravating it and end up not being able to run for the rest of your life!
And you're putting pressure on yourself. Just enjoy the run!

Knowing Kelvin is a real blessing. Without his advices and words of support, who knows what I would have gotten myself into. He provided me what I always aspire to achieve - wisdom and experience. Not bad for a complete stranger you met by chance at a public toilet in Sungai Buloh barely 2 months ago.

Thank you so much Kelvin :)

Eventually, I visited Dr. Aston's Sports Clinic, as sports clinic recommended to be by Chanel. By the end of my 1 hour appointment with Dr. Aston, he found out that one of the peroneal tendons in my left foot is now loosely attached and is rubbing against the ankle bone, which was the source of the pain and discomfort.

Ouch.

I was taught to tape my left foot, to maintain the arch without impeding it's action plus use orthotics in my shoes to relieve the pain. And contrary to what everyone else has been telling me, Dr. Aston actually advised me to run that very evening itself. :D

As days go by, I could feel the self confidence returning. I started off with a slow 5KM jog, picking up the pace the following day with a 8KM run before finally revisiting the Double Hills of Bukit Tunku today in a 16KM extended run. Everything seems fine once again. Let's keep it that way!

Food for thought, though. A friend of mine sprained her ankle just yesterday in preparation for this weekend's Setia Alam Klang Pacers Half Marathon. It's going to be her first Half Marathon, she has been training consistently for it and more importantly, she promised to run the race with her close friends. She's so determined to run it, that she's even gotten painkillers from the pharmacist in case the pain gets any worse during race day.

As a close friend, I can't help but warn her AGAINST running. But then again, I was (or am still partially) in her position. I was all ready to do what she's going to do, if ever the pain returns before June 28th arrives.

So do I even have a right to tell her what to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment