Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Food For Thought

Hey guys, here's a response to a comment, made by Dragon in the post, "We Are Go!"

It goes:

"To Ray Mun & Jimmy,

Hi. I'm a student from IMU. Heard bout this run recently & seriously, I was very impressed by what you guys are doing. Combining your passion for marathon with charity is somewhat a win-win situation for both you people & the children from the Shelter. It's not easy to raise fund esp from IMU students (well, look at the IMU ball committee people... but unfortunately they did not motivate me to donate... to me such money should be channeled for a better & more meaningful use instead for sheer enjoyment & fun... well, that's what I thought & you may not agree :))

Nevertheless, from what I know, the Infinity Milers is also organizing a Climbing-Mount-Kotakinabalu trip in this coming July. Is the trip still on?

If I'm not mistaken, the original fee for the mount climbing is RM 1000+. & after subsidized by SAD(or whichever sponsers you guys get, which I didn't know), each participant still needs to pay at least RM 500-600. This does not include the fees for the food, equipments, & various accessories required for the Mount Climbing.

I'm confused.

If those of you who are joining the KK trip (if it's still on) are able & willing to pay the sum for it, I don't see why it's so hard for you people to raise a sheer RM 500.

RM 1000+ is not a small sum to certain people, & so is RM 500 you guys are trying to raise.

But it's not the sum that matters.

Hope it's just me thinking too much & you guys can help clear my doubt."

Hello Dragon,

First of all, thank you very much for your support and your comment! It's always refreshing to receive some feedback, which I feel is extremely necessary for us to improve ourselves or to clarify certain issues.

Your comments are very interesting! Before proceeding further, please allow me to comment about the Mount Kinabalu climb on July 27th. This climb is not an Infinity Milers climb, but rather an M207 batch climb. However, I am not participating in this climb but I am assisting my batch mates to organise this trip.

Yes, the total cost of the trip (3D2N), inclusive of airfare, transportation, lodging, guide fees, park fees and food will total up to about RM1000, and we are not receiving any form of sponsorship to subsidise our trip. At any one time, only a limited number of climbers are allowed up on Mount Kinabalu, hence the RM515 that has been paid is to reserve the lodgings for the climbers at Kinabalu Park and Laban Rata during the hike. The remainder of the fees such as guide fees and park fees will have to be paid, eventually.

Either than running, mountain climbing is one of my other passions in life. Although I may not agree with the price that has been charged to climb Mount Kinabalu, there's nothing that can be done as this price has already been predetermined by the company that manages the climbs up Mount Kinabalu.

Moving on to other things, I always believe that if life, charity comes in two forms - charity for others, and charity for ourselves. There is a need to care for others - the weak, the underprivileged, but it is also impossible for us to be so selfless that we sacrifice our personal goals and ambitions in life for the sake of others entirely. Aside from loving others, we must learn how to love ourselves. Hence, a balance is needed.

There is nothing wrong with what you've said. The way I look at things, IMU Ball 2009 and the upcoming Mount Kinabalu climb are forms of charity for ourselves. For IMU Ball, donations were needed in order for the event to go ahead as planned. Imagine what life in IMU would be if we graduated from IMU Bukit Jalil without any proper farewell or ending!

Similarly, although the climb up Mount Kinabalu is expensive, the rewards from it is priceless. I have done my fair share of climbs, and the friendships fostered, memories obtained and the harsh lessons that I've learned through climbing cannot be bought using cold hard cash. No two mountains I’ve climbed are the same. It's unfortunate that the cost of climbing Mount Kinabalu is exorbitant, as I feel that the mountain is becoming too commercialized for it’s own good!

Having said all that, it is up to one's personal preference on how one chooses to spend his or her money. Whether the money ends up for personal charity or charity for others, is not for us to decide. I have learnt to respect that. It is just human nature.

If we look at Run For A Cause, one can choose to support this charity event in many ways. One way is through, of course, monetary contribution. I cannot deny that without the money that has been graciously put forward to be contributed to SHELTER – Home For Children under Jimmy and myself, we cannot qualify for Run For A Cause.

However, charity does come in different forms – moral and physical support, words of encouragement and motivation – things which remind me that the effort I’m putting is worth the pain and trouble. I have received plenty of morale support from a lot of people, including my batch mates who will be climbing Mount Kinabalu. They have contributed immensely, from contributing money to pick-me-up conversations, and I consider morale support as equally as important as the monetary contribution itself!

In a nutshell, charity is not compulsory, it is a choice. We cannot force people to donate or to help, nor can we expect people to contribute selflessly whenever necessary. There is no right or wrong. However, on a personal level, I hope that our (Jimmy and myself) strivings in Run For A Cause can inspire people out there to challenge the near impossible, for a cause higher than one’s own self. That is one of the many reasons why I’m running.

Dragon, I hope this answers a lot of your questions or doubts. Please feel free to reply whenever convenient. In fact, we can talk over coffee in IMU whenever you are free. If so, please do not hesitate to email me at raymun@gmail.com.

Thank you once again for your sincere comments :)

Your humble servent,
raymun

10 comments:

  1. To raymun,

    Thanks for taking the trouble to explain the whole issue to me. I felt appreciated. To be frank I was mentally prepared to be either ignored or bashed up for making such offensive-sounded remarks. But hey, thanks for taking my comments positively.

    One of the main reasons I made that remark was that I had seen 'charity' people in the society go around asking the public to donate money to the poor, while at the same time enjoying all the high-class parties & spending like hell. If they truly understand what true charity is, they wouldn't have done such contradicting things. It's something I deeply disagree & despise. Something hypocritic.

    In this world, there're very few real charity persons, like bill & melinda gates, like reverend XingYun from taiwan, & many more who preferred to be anonymous.

    But my doubt is cleared when you explained that you did not join the Mount K trip. Cause if you did, that would sound rather contradicting to me & I would see no point in raising the RM500. If you truly see what the RM 500 means to the 5 benefitiaries (if I'm not mistaken) of the SC Run (the small-sum-becomes-big-sum chain effects), you wouldn't have joined the trip. I know you wanna say about the passion & choice thing, but please let me tell you this first :

    Speaking frankly, you, raymun, as the organizer/appear-as-co-organizer of both the SC Run & the Mount K trip, it's hard for people not to link you to both events, & in some extent, thought that you're happily joining the Mount K's trip paying the sky-high fees, while at the same time asking favours from IMU students to help raise RM 500 for you people to become one of the fund-raising bodies in the run. People would think "Hey, why is he asking people to donate the money while he can afford the more than RM 500 Mount K trip?". Especially among people who did not understand your passion for mount-climbing. To them mount-climbing is a luxury hobby for rich people, & rich people like to do charity in order to make their image good.

    You see my point here? The reality is, you wouldn't know if people are thinking you as such a person. & these are some of the people who did not pat attention to what you're trying to convey, let alone donating to you people.

    Anyway, I believe I'm not the only one who thought of this possibility. It may sound insignificant to you. But if you think your conscious is clear & you see no need in explaining, you can choose not to. It's up to you whether to clarify this issue to others who have similar doubts as I had or just walk your way & ignore what people say or think about you :).

    BTW, I have fewer passions in life, unlike you, but they are long-lasting passions that would probably last me until the end of my days. The point I'm saying this is that I truly understand how important it is to have something you can do, enjoy & at the same time benefit from it, something we called passions in life (sorry if I ill-define the word passion, 3 am + already, very tired... ). There's nothing wrong to sacrifice your money & time for your passion within affortable range & not causing any burden on anyone. I have no intention in criticising your passions & if I sounded offensive in some ways, please do not take it to your heart.

    Till this point I must admit that you're a very persuasive person (--> compliment). But pal, sorry to tell you that you still didn't manage to change my mind in joining IMU ball next year. No matter what it's still too much a luxury & ahem, a waste of money. I would rather donate the RM 120 to the needys, for example. Money hard to earn. Not easy for parents to earn so much of $ to put you in IMU. I admit I think like a realistic grassroot uncle (& I'm from the grassroots of the society). Call me uncle if you want. Haha... you would respect my choice wouldn't you?

    Thanks for inviting but no need to meet up in cafetaria la. I think I had said what I wanted to say :). Now I'll do what I want to do in this fund-raising campaign.

    All the best in the run. Hope you people can raise as much fund as possible &, if possible, update us on how the kids in the Shelter are benefiting from the fund :)(oh yeah dragon loves kids, dragon dun eat kids). I believe that will inspire more people into organizing similar events in future & at the same time, faithfully passing down the sportsmanship spirit to all sports lovers!

    P/s : just saw that at the last line... why servant? You serve me? Or are you trying to sweettalk me so that I'll 'pay' you more? Fat wish. RM 120 for the run & the kids. Not for you. & no more than that!

    Yours Truly,
    Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  2. dragon,
    i must admit, the comments u made are spot on.. a very practical reasonings indeed
    i do hope people can see the issue (the whole charity biz) as u see it.. i myself am not a fan of 'organized charity' as it seems like one of those scheme generated to benefit the organisers.. well, in this case, i think raymun are pretty transparent in explaining the purpose of the run and his goals.. pretty legit i might say.. plus the fact that raymun as a person, IS that kind of person..
    to me, it's all about who's driving the bandwagon and i do trust his motivation..
    too bad i can only be a small voice in his cause to make the world a better place, both to the home and the population in general.. (heck, one of those kids might become the next president for mercy malaysia lol) keep on running raymun..

    as for the imuball, i do think it's overrated.. a waste of money, a waste of my time.. in the end i succumb to peer pressure(lol) and went ahead with the crowd.. but it was definately worth the effort.. it's a matter of enjoying the evening with ur mates all pretty and doll-ed up, maybe for the last time.. if u can, u really should treasure that moment in time.. since practicality is ur game, it's up to ur judgement on how u see the events (both the imuball and the charity run)

    raymun,
    run ur legs off for the kids!!! kudos on the cause... go go go and please dun take it all on urself.. if u think it's all a bit too heavy for ur shoulder, just sit back, take a breather and remind urslef why u r doing this in the first place.. and remember, u'll always have frens to support u no matter how hard it is..
    again, good luck for the exams and the run ya...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Dragon, hey Mustaqim,

    Thank you both for your enlightening comments. I really appreciate these kinds of thought provoking comments – as we are progressing to adulthood; we also need to start thinking like one.

    We must admit that there are many ‘charity’ schemes out there which take advantage of the public’s good will, as they siphon a portion (as much as 90%) of the contributions into their own pockets. Such doings have been made public by the local media over the past few years, that the public are becoming more and more skeptical when it comes to donating to certain ‘charity bodies’.

    But yes Dragon, now I’m beginning to understand your point better. During the initial planning stages of Why Do You Run, I did ask myself of the possible repercussions of my actions – of choosing to join Run For A Cause and to raise funds for it. Whenever money is involved, controversy always follows close behind. I have consulted Jimmy, Sheah Lin from Admissions and Miss Aznah from SSD about the ethicality of my actions, if they infringe any of the IMU’s policies. I am thankful that they saw eye to eye, in the purpose of my plans and have remained supportive of the idea till this day.

    Yes, it is unfortunate that my passion for running, mountain climbing and to perform charity has been scrutinized and potentially misunderstood over the course of the past few months. I have to admit, it is not something I’m too happy about but yet I gladly accept that such misunderstandings can happen. Once again, the word here is misunderstandings.

    Participating in Run For A Cause has never been about personal gains. Trust me, it’s not worth the trouble of training every other day, going from batch to batch to make announcements, to set up and manage this blog, to moderate the Facebook Group on a daily basis and sacrificing my study time in the process, solely for personal gains. I think my closer friends would understand that I’ve always wanted to remain low profile in the IMU. Popularity has never been my agenda, what not the potential public flak that I can receive if the public view’s my intentions indifferently.

    Dragon, what you’ve said is significant. It reflects public opinion and it’s something worth addressing, solely for the purpose of clarifying this issue and so that my intentions are not misinterpreted. Whether or not anyone else chooses to think negatively about myself or my intentions, I can not do anything about it and I have learned to accept that. Please strive hard for your passions, as they reflect who you truly are. It doesn’t matter how many or little passions we have in life, so long they make strive to be a better person. Besides, I am sure that both our passions will last us a lifetime :)

    On a side note, don’t get me wrong. I am not persuading you to participate in IMU Ball 2010. I am merely rationalizing why many people (including myself) choose to participate in IMU Ball, year in year out. You believe very strongly in your judgment and opinion, and that is a true asset. Once again, there is no right or wrong.

    Let me clarify one more thing, though. There is nothing glamorous about mountain climbing in Malaysia. Only self satisfaction. Imaging climbing steep uphill slopes for up to 8 hours a day, trudging through mud while donating your blood to leeches and sandflies along the way, only to end up at your next campsite where you sleep in leaky plastic tents at near 10 degrees Celsius weather. There’s nothing glamorous about it at all. It’s unfortunate that the hype generated from climbing Mount Kinabalu has made mountain climbing in Malaysia ‘glamorous’, although it does not reflect the true nature of mountain climbing at all.

    And to Mustaqim and everyone else, yes I will give my all, not only for June 28th but in the preparations for it. I just hope that I don’t let anyone down.

    Ps: The reason why I ended my last post with “Your humble servent” is not to patronize you or anyone else. Please don’t misunderstand me. I have always believed that in order to be a good leader, you must first learn how to be a dedicated servant in the very first place. These were the very words spoken to me by Jimmy and I’ve kept it close to my heart as the past 2 years in IMU have taught me some harsh life lessons. It is something that I’ve shared with my fellow runners during one of the Infinity Milers training sessions, which I still fondly remember.

    Regards,
    raymun

    ReplyDelete
  4. To khairul,

    Glad to know that you see my so-called practical reasonings :). I'm not here to create trouble but to share a piece of thought regarding this run with raymun & other fellow IMU friends who are concerned about the kids in the Shelter. I'm here to try my best to point out some points I thought raymun could have taken considerations in. I'm concerned about the fact that he might be misunderstood by some other people who have doubts in this issue, so i decided to come over here & try to share with him another perspective of view of this issue. However I'm glad to see that he saw the points I was trying to say & he's taking my comment rather positively, though I think both of you misunderstood my P/S lines (which is, actually, a lame joke, you'll know why if you read what I'll be writing below).

    to raymun,

    Haiz... Let me reason out my purposes for you :

    What I really mean is, your first reply had already answered my question & cleared my doubts already. I was very satisfied with your reply, & then I tried to clarify a few points I saw in this issue, which I thought might be good for you to know (how certain people may view you in an unpleasant way). Then your words regarding your passions for mount-climbing & good intention to help the kids in the Shelter had deeply inspired me. So at the end of my reply, I decided that I'll donate RM 120 to your fund-raising campaign for the Shelter. The hidden meaning is, I'll donate my RM 120 to you for this run instead of spending it for IMU Ball. I wouldn't have donated if I thought you were SUCH a person, right?

    Try read my previous comment again & link what I'd said at the beginning & middle. C'mon la bro, can't you tell that I'm just joking ya? where got people suddenly change face so fast one ;p? That would sound so not logic if you really compare what I'd said before & after, right? Moreover, if I was offended by how you address yourself as, why would I end my post with a 'Yours Truly'? Crap... I should have add a few smillies in the P/s line & maybe things would have turned up in a different way. I should stop cracking lame jokes especially at 3am in early morning with my eyes half-shut. Again please understand that it's a joke & please dun take it to your heart.

    Actually today I'm here to ask you whether I can make payment to you via PAYPAL :).

    I admit that I'm not good with words. I'm not here to hurt anyone's feeling & if I did, I truly apologize. Gee... I'm starting to regret for commenting on this issue already *sob sob*. I will retreat from this blog after I make my payment to you.

    Anyway still, all the best for the run! Run your way like a man & fear none of the gossips some tongues may flatter!

    Best wishes,
    Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey raymun,

    can I make payment to you by PAYPAL? It's a long story but I'm currently not in IMU...

    Regards,
    Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dragon,

    I'm sorry for the not-so-speedy reply. I've been awfully busy of late, with my exams to prepare for so.

    But firstly, allow me to apologize if I misinterpreted your last few posts. I must admit, it was quite hard for me to interpret your message initially, especially with it done over the internet. Perhaps it was just myself being all negative minded once again.

    But yes, I must admit, that putting a few :) or :D, or perhaps LOL and 'Haha's can help diffuse the tension at times :).

    But please don't apologize, as you have no reason to do so. Seriously! As mentioned, it's all a huge misunderstanding...

    Anyhow, I'm not too sure on how PAYPAL works but I've done a bit of reading on it. Yes, you can make a payment to my account, Jimmy's account or any of the Run For A Cause runners by going to this website (http://www.kl-marathon.com/charity/) and clicking on the "Runners" option. You can locate my name under the "SHELTER - Home For Children" category. For each runner's profile, there is a "Donation Form" at the bottom, in which the steps are pretty simple after that. In fact, the website is pretty secure that you can use your Maybank account to deposit the money.

    If you find any form of difficulties in the process, do not hesitate to email me at raymun@gmail.com. If you don't mind, I can even call you to assist you.

    But seriously, thank you very so much for your support! I was quite worried that the hassles of my previous replies would have turned you off, but I'm glad to be proved wrong. :)

    And yes, I will run as well as I can come 28th of June. That, I can promise you.

    Regards,
    ray mun

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey man. how's training coming along? =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. not too bad joash. jimmy, roderick and myself have been training together since last week, but the exams are a real hassle. won't be able to run for a week prior to summatives -.-

    how about you? care to join us in our future training sessions?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Ray Mun, unfortunately with fame comes people's scrutiny and judgement, no matter how much you don't want all of it. and sometimes you just can't please everyone eh? but fret not! you have friends who believe and will support you till the end :) so don't worry too much, seriously!

    I think Dragon has summed up pretty nicely the controversy surrounding a lot of charity work - money spent vs money donated - as i see it. even i too sometimes feel guilty and hypocritical when i splurge on something vain and skimp when donating. but unfortunately Dragon, not many people realise it and see it they way you, and probably we do. but hopefully we'll learn, slowly but surely :)

    ReplyDelete