Saturday, May 9, 2009

Contemplations

Today, something totally random came across my mind.

I went to the local aquarium shop, and decided to do a little 'shopping'. I bought 2 pairs of juvenile Ikan Patin, 5 juvenile Ikan Jelawat and 20 Ikan Lampam, which I wanted to release at the Taman Lembah Kiara Lake - my normal training area.

It was close to noon when I carefully lugged the plastic bags containing the fishes into the park. It was totally deserted, except for the security guards and the odd family or two. Wanting some peace, I walked to the far end of the lake where the clear mountain river meets the murkier waters of the lake. There were even other fish there, mainly the Cichlids.

Not too bad a place to release them, I thought to myself.

I released the Ikan Lampam first. They were the shining silver ones, which were quick to escape from the bag and soon enough, they darted off into the depths of the lake.

I released the Ikan Patin next. They were black in color and slightly slower to swim away. A smaller one even started swimming towards the shore. I turned it around and soon enough, all 4 swam off into the depths of the lake.

Lastly, I released the Ikan Jelawat. They were sleek and silver, with a tinge of redness on their tails. Powerful swimmers they were. Before I could even release them properly, 2 jumped out of the bag. The other 3 made their way out of the bag eventually. In a blink of an eye, all 5 swam off into the depths of the lake.

Then, silence.

I stayed at the bank, hoping to have a glimpse of the fishes that I released, wanting to know how they'd survive in the wild after being born and bred in captivity in their such short lives. At first, there was nothing.

Then, I saw them. The 4 Ikan Jelawat, which were the quickest to leave, begun swimming towards the mountain stream. They kept to the shallows. For some strange reasons, the Cichlids were swimming with them, surrounding them as they go! They made splashes as they swam against the current, but always keeping to the shallows. Their beautiful red tails were apparent even from the bank. I hope that they grow up, big and strong, and become even more beautiful as they do so.

Next, the Ikan Lampam showed up. They were chasing the smaller Cichlids in the lake! I'm not sure if they were preying on them or just teasing them, but they sure made their presence felt. Even more splashes were seen, as they darted from one side to the other, oblivious to my presence just 2 feet from the bank. There were 20 of them in the lake now. I hope that they thrive, so that a healthy population of fish will be produced, so that the visitors of the park will actually have fish to feed in the lake.

But, I never did see the Ikan Patin. They never did turn up after I released them. However, I know that they will grow up, eventually. They are hardy fish, not needing much to live on. And they're not much of a social fish, always keeping to themselves whenever possible. Occasionally, you can see their splashes on the surface of the calm lake but for the majority of the time, they're always one their own.

A lone ranger.

Sometimes, I feel just like the Ikan Patin.

Have a meaningful Wesak Day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment